VLARIO is an independent non-governmental and non-profit organization in Flanders (Belgium). VLARIO is the consulting platform and information and knowledge centre for Flemish sewerage professionals and has the following targets:
VLARIO is willing to participate and to cooperate in a European network based on the principles of supporting the making of the European water policy (especially as we are living in Flanders and are at home in Brussels).
- VLARIO offers an independent platform for experts of rainwater, wastewater and integral water management;
- VLARIO collects knowledge through continuous consultation and exchange of experience with all market players, national and international;
- VLARIO propagates this knowledge via publications and the organization of seminars, workshops, lectures and study groups;
- VLARIO supports the ambition of Flemish towns and cities in pursuing quality and applying the ‘Principles of integrated sewerage management”;
- VLARIO has 450 members, such as most of the Flemish towns and cities, regional authorities, Aquafin, consulting engineers, certification bodies, contractors and industrial companies.
- Commissioners and decision makers from the Flemish public sector (Flemish authorities and related institutions, cities and municipalities, sewerage administrations, associations of municipal corporations, water companies, and provinces);
- Commissioners, decision makers and executors from the Flemish private sector (engineering offices, contractors, supply companies, inspection companies and Aquafin);
- Investigation and research centres (universities, research institutions,…);
- The Flemish population.
- Bimonthly consultations with the sector’s most important partners through the advisory committee, in which current matters are critically discussed and the foundations for the future activities of VLARIO are determined;
- Regular consultation with the Environment Cabinet;
- Consultation with the sewerage administrators and the Flemish municipalities through the Flemish Association for Towns and Municipalities (VVSG);
- Three-monthly publication of the VLARIO Newsletter;
- Organization of the annual VLARIO day with a traditional sewerage market;
- Organization of courses: “Sewerage” building site surveillance, draw-up of specifications, visual inspection of sewer lines, control of individual water treatment installations and of small sewage treatment plants, disconnection consultant, inspection of private sewerage, disconnection contractor, … ;
- Organization of workshops: disconnection and infiltration of rainwater, VAT issues of the municipality, explanation of the standardized specification list 250, sewerage screening, renovation or replacement of sewers,…
10 working groups, each treating specific topics
- WG 1: Sewerage financing
- WG 2&3: Concepts and calculation of sewerage
- WG 4: Sewerage and water treatment in rural areas
- WG 5: Type specification lists and standards in cooperation with the engineering offices
- WG 6: Quality control and choice of materials in the sewerage sector;
- WG 7: Sewerage management
- WG 8: Trenchless techniques for municipal (sewer) infrastructure works.
- WG municipalities
- WG sewer managers
- WG project management
- WG safety