VLARIO is an independent non-governmental and non-profit organization in Flanders (Belgium). VLARIO is the consulting platform and information and knowledge centre for Flemish sewerage professionals and has the following targets:
VLARIO is willing to participate and to cooperate in a European network based on the principles of supporting the making of the European water policy (especially as we are living in Flanders and are at home in Brussels).
- VLARIO offers an independent platform for experts of rainwater, wastewater and integral water management;
- VLARIO collects knowledge through continuous consultation and exchange of experience with all market players, national and international;
- VLARIO propagates this knowledge via publications and the organization of seminars, workshops, lectures and study groups;
- VLARIO supports the ambition of Flemish towns and cities in pursuing quality and applying the ‘Principles of integrated sewerage management”;
- VLARIO has 450 members, such as most of the Flemish towns and cities, regional authorities, Aquafin, consulting engineers, certification bodies, contractors and industrial companies.
- Commissioners and decision makers from the Flemish public sector (Flemish authorities and related institutions, cities and municipalities, sewerage administrations, associations of municipal corporations, water companies, and provinces);
- Commissioners, decision makers and executors from the Flemish private sector (engineering offices, contractors, supply companies, inspection companies and Aquafin);
- Investigation and research centres (universities, research institutions,…);
- The Flemish population.
- Bimonthly consultations with the sector’s most important partners through the advisory committee, in which current matters are critically discussed and the foundations for the future activities of VLARIO are determined;
- Regular consultation with the Environment Cabinet;
- Consultation with the sewerage administrators and the Flemish municipalities through the Flemish Association for Towns and Municipalities (VVSG);
- Three-monthly publication of the VLARIO Newsletter;
- Organization of the annual VLARIO day with a traditional sewerage market;
- Organization of courses: “Sewerage” building site surveillance, draw-up of specifications, visual inspection of sewer lines, control of individual water treatment installations and of small sewage treatment plants, disconnection consultant, inspection of private sewerage, disconnection contractor, … ;
- Organization of workshops: disconnection and infiltration of rainwater, VAT issues of the municipality, explanation of the standardized specification list 250, sewerage screening, renovation or replacement of sewers,… .
10 working groups, each treating specific topics
- WG 1: Sewerage financing
- WG 2&3: Concepts and calculation of sewerage
- WG 4: Sewerage and water treatment in rural areas
- WG 5: Type specification lists and standards in cooperation with the engineering offices
- WG 6: Quality control and choice of materials in the sewerage sector;
- WG 7: Sewerage management
- WG 8: Trenchless techniques for municipal (sewer) infrastructure works.
- WG municipaliities
- WG sewer managers